Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Yesterday GamePolitics reported on concerns by University of Minnesota Duluth officials that compulsive World of Warcraft play was causing some students to flunk out.

Those concerns have been echoed by Federal Communications Commissioner Deborah Taylor Tate (left).

The FCC commissioner commented on WoW during a speech on telecom policy and regulation delivered to the Practicing Law Institute on December 5th:

QUOTE With the explosion of educational resources available online, one might think parents would be 100% pleased with the internet’s role in their children’s lives. But surveys show just the opposite: a late 2006 survey that showed 59% of parents think the internet has been a totally positive influence in their children’s lives-- down from 67% in 2004. You might find it alarming that one of the top reasons for college drop-outs in the U.S. is online gaming addiction - such as World of Warcraft - which is played by 11 million individuals worldwide.

source

what is WoW not responsible of doing?

This doesn't surprise me, I've seen a few people end up outta here because of the addiction.

QUOTE (Hachi @ December 15, 2008 04:24 pm) This doesn't surprise me, I've seen a few people end up outta here because of the addiction.
Agreed, I was like heh,..
fighting0003.gif

Likely because too many guys were hooked on the game, and caused them to stray away from their academic studies.

Video game addiction is just a lame excuse for having poor will power and time management skills.

QUOTE (froggyboy604 @ December 19, 2008 03:58 pm) Video game addiction is just a lame excuse for having poor will power and time management skills.
QFT

People that have addictive personalities can become addicted to many things. Add to that someone that is anti-social and give them an outlet such as WoW, and they end up consumed by it.

Video game addiction is actually in the works of being added to the DSM, which is basically a book of psychological diseases and disorders. So soon, video game addiction will be a legitimate addiction in the eyes of the medical world.

Video Addictiion is legitimate addiction in China, S. Korea, and some other asian Countries.

But, I think it be hard for most people to take video game addiction seriously because a lot of people can balance their lives and also play video games.

Back